Pouches do have their own walk of life, each time I make a pouch it redirects its own coming to be. The reason can be because of miscalculations, such as in this case. I did not take into account the slight pulling of the fabric when I embroidered the interlaced herringbone stitch next to one another.
Because of the miscalculation, I decided not to close the pouch all the way to its end but leave it open a bit. This matches my first thoughts perfectly when I start making pouches (I started to embroider on my 5 year cycling trip): the little I owe must be pleasant to look at.
This time it was important that I kept a precise measurement because someone asked me to make a pouch for a flute.
Truly accidental but fitting nicely are the colors of the discarded clothes of my husband’s dad that I incorporated into this flute wrapping.
The stitch is one that took me quite some time to first find information about and then to learn it (I had to make charts in drawing). This time around I can do the stitch by remembrance. It is a stitch that comes from Indian Gujarati and Pakistan Sindhi embroidery and similarly to their styles I was inspired to create a pleasant looking, fully incorporated style that is yet my own. It didn’t go right away and I had to undo, I had to think and needed to try and see because I want it pleasant looking to my eyes. It’s only good when I like it (not the best commercial outlook).
I imagine this flute pouch going on little trips to mountains and streams. I imagine a dog, sitting beside the person who plays the flute, howling along on the tunes. It will be dirtied after a while, as it did while I worked on it. The remaining drawing of pencil lines
will soon fade away are washed off.
And although I was bounded by measurements, there is no obligation from the other part to purchase this. Because tastes are individual and free choices are sure to make things more difficult.
It was a pleasure having a creative challenge whilst sowing, baking, cooking (lots of spinach) and walking the forest to unwind from hard work in the garden.
Hand dyed: elderberries
Fabric: hemp cotton originating from Nepal
Stitch: interlacing herringbone aka sindhi silai stitch from India/Pakistan
Lining: a discarded 100% cotton shirt from my husband’s dad
Inner sleeve wrap: a discarded 100% silk shirt from my husband’s dad
Threads: all cotton locally bought (Hungary/Pakistan/Paraguay/Spain)
Note: the substitute flute in the pouch has a diameter half a centimeter more than the real flute, the lenght is the same as the original measurements, as told to me. I used a dicarded wooden tool heft.